At Wangala Primary School we are committed to maximising literacy and learning outcomes for all our students. As a school we take every opportunity to increase our students’ reading, writing, speaking and listening, and thinking skills. Our literacy program includes;
– A phonics-based approach as the foundation of reading, using evidence-based pedagogical practices
– Explicit teaching of comprehension strategies to ensure students understand what they read and make connections to the real world
– Language-based activities and experiences to deliberately build students’ vocabulary to be able to express themselves through speech and writing
– A strong independent reading culture utilising ‘decodable texts’ and independent readers accessing ‘just right’ texts.
– Making the learning visible throughout the school
– Learning based on students ‘next steps’ in their learning, focused on individual learning goals utilising our school developed Victorian Curriculum ‘I Can’ statements
– An exploration of the conventions of writing, and developing a culture of reviewing writing for improvement
– Development of a neat and fluent handwriting style
– Regular yarn circle discussions
We prioritise the teaching of literacy with all classes having a two-hour literacy block that includes reading, writing, spelling, and speaking and listening, whilst also embedding literacy in everything we do.